Healthiest Foods To Order From Fast Food Menu
Most of seem to have times where we stop for fast food. It could be because we are on a road trip and there is no where else to stop. Maybe we are running late somewhere and the kids are starving. Might just be there isn’t much to cook in the house or you are exhausted or sick and don’t want to cook. But going to a fast food place can totally sabotage your diet. You can sit down and consume your daily calorie intake in one meal. Here are some alternatives, brought to you by Robbie Berger at BurnFit Studio. Robbie is a personal trainer at BurnFit Studio where they specialize in fitness training for small groups of women. For more health tips check out 7 Tips For Choosing The Best Protein For You.
Choose These Items For The Healthy Fast Food Choices
You don’t have to worry about learning to count calories or carbs if you don’t know how or researching the restaurant’s menu. Check out this list for the best foods to order.
Jack in the Box
I’ve been watching so many commercials that Jack in Box has thrown out there in the last few years and it’s always about getting an enormous amount of food which adds up to thousands of calories for a low price! Jack is not your friend, but I am and here is what to order when ordering from them.
- Order a Grilled chicken salad with croutons and low-fat balsamic vinaigrette this comes out to 345 calories, 13.5 grams fat, 4.5 grams saturated, 5 grams fiber, 31 grams protein.
- One egg roll is 150 calories, 7 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 5 grams protein.
- A healthy size grilled chicken salad at Jack in the Box your best choice, it is 5 grams of fiber and 31 grams of protein. And while a single egg roll is not by far the healthiest selection on the market, it’s not the end of the world either.
It’s hard to say no to this fast food restaurant because everything from the french fries to their veggies that they use is fresh. Since I’m a guy who works out hard and loves to eat, I could just go nuts and pound down two Double-Doubles Animal style with an extra large diet coke. Let’s get back now to reality! If you’re going to order from In-N-Out, here’s how!
- Order a Protein-style hamburger with onions is 240 calories, 17 grams fat, 4 grams saturated, 3 grams fiber, 13 grams protein.
- French fries are 395 calories, 18 grams fat, 5 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 7 grams protein.
- While the protein-style hamburger emphasizing a lettuce wrap in place of a bun isn’t a perfect option, it is a better one. The chain only offers French fries as a side dish, and they just come in one size — high-calorie and very fattening. They can turn a moderately reasonable meal into a lunch or dinner that racks up more than 600 calories and 35 grams of fat.
The war of the clowns! Between McDonald’s and Jack In The Box, these clowns come off so friendly, but that’s far from the truth!
- Just a Regular hamburger is 250 calories, 8 grams fat, 3 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 13 grams protein
- A Side salad with Newman’s Own low-fat balsamic vinaigrette: 50 calories, 1.5 grams fat, 1 gram fiber, 1 gram protein
- There’s very little in making a McDonald’s classic hamburger — just a burger patty, bun, and a few condiments, but without all the “extras” (like sugary sauces and saturated fat-laden cheeses), This ends up making it a pretty low-calorie meal when merging it with a simple side salad. At just 300 calories, it’s one of the healthier choices compared to other fast food places to fit into a calorie-controlled eating plan.
Wow, I remember being a kid and ordering a Whopper and fries! Well, let’s order from them the healthy way!
- A Grilled chicken sandwich without mayo comes out to be 370 calories, 7 grams fat, 2 grams saturated, 6 grams fiber, 36 grams protein.
- A Value-sized onion ring: 150 calories, 8 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated, 1 gram fiber, 1 gram protein
- BK’s grilled chicken sandwich probably won’t satisfy you the way a Whopper does, but by ordering the white-meat sandwich you’re reducing it down to 130 calories and 15 grams of fat while scoring an extra 8 grams of protein — that’s a great deal. Tack on a value-sized order of onion rings add to your meal, and you’re most likely going to be full most of the day.
Every time I think of Taco Bell it reminds me of meeting up with my friends on the way home after school. We would hang out there because that’s where all the kids after school hung out and I would always order one bean burrito. Times sure have changed!
- If you’re going to order, make it Two fresco soft tacos with steak which calculates to 280 calories, 8 grams of fat, 3 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 20 grams protein.
- The Black beans & rice: 190 calories, 3.5 grams fat, 0 grams saturated, 6 grams fiber, 6 grams protein.
- If you think chicken is always your best option in lowering calories, this time you’re dead wrong. The steak version fresco soft tacos on Taco Bell’s menu have fewer calories, less fat, saturated fat, and higher total protein than the chicken variety. And when you combine them with black beans and rice, you get another 6 grams of protein and an increased level of fiber, too. Combined, you end up with a meal under 500 calories.
I was never a big fan of Wendy’s but is here is how I’d order from them.
- Their Power Mediterranean chicken salad, half size is the way to go. It is 250 calories, 9 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated, 5 grams fiber, 5 grams protein
- A small chili: 170 calories, 5 grams fat, 2 grams saturated, 4 grams fiber, 15 grams protein
- Wendy’s is known to have an excellent selection of salads, and the half-size of their Power Mediterranean chicken salad makes a great mid-day meal when joined with a small cup of chili. Together you’re looking at just 420 calories with 20 grams of protein and 6.5 grams of fiber.
I always used to get their BBQ Chicken Sandwich when I was in college. That was a healthy choice back in the day.
- The All-natural charbroiled BBQ chicken sandwich is still a healthy choice! It is 370 calories, 5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated, 3 grams fiber, 33 grams protein
- The Garden side salad with low-fat balsamic vinaigrette dressing: 160 calories, 8 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 6 grams protein
- Carl’s Jr. and Hardee’s have a couple of different chicken sandwiches. Still, the one you want is the all-natural charbroiled BBQ version is the only one that comes in under 400 calories and 20-plus grams of fat.
- Add a garden salad on the side, and you’ll bump up your fiber and protein without overdoing the calories.
I Seem to eat there from time to time. I alway ask them to put more veggies on my sandwich when having lunch. Most places will do this for free.
- An excellent choice is their Veggie Delite salad which is only 60 calories, 1 gram fat, 0 grams saturated, 4 grams fiber, 3 grams protein.
- An Eight-ounce homestyle chicken noodle soup: 110 calories, 3 grams fat, 1.5 grams saturated, 1 gram fiber, 8 grams protein.
As far as fast food goes Subway is an excellent choice for keeping your meals extra-lean. The Veggie Delite salad and chicken noodle soup combo is a fantastic combo. If you’re going to get a salad I’d recommend adding protein to your mixture, but Subway’s salads are kinda big, so you can pile on the veggies to fill yourself up. Plus, by adding in a bowl, of soup, you’ll add some extra protein from your soup. The calorie and fat estimates for the salad don’t account for High-calorie dressings, so try to use vinegar and oil or a light vinaigrette when asking for your sauce.
There aren’t many Sonic restaurants in California but nationwide they are a big chain.
- An excellent choice is the Grilled chicken wrap which is 440 calories, 15 grams fat, 3.5 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 32 grams protein.
- The Small fries comes out to 250 calories, 12 grams fat, 2 grams saturated, 3 grams fiber, 3 grams protein.
There are only two items on the menu that have fewer calories than the grilled chicken wrap, but they also feature less fiber, less protein, and an unfortunate amount of trans fatty acids you know, the fats you want to stay away from.
My memories of KFC reminds me of going with my Father to the baseball games on a bus and every season they would dish out a box of KFC on the bus every trip to the game.
- This is a pretty healthy meal. Order the Kentucky grilled chicken breast: 210 calories, 7 grams fat, 2 grams saturated, 38 grams protein
- Make sure to get your veggies so order Green beans: 25 calories, 0 gram fat, 2 grams fiber, 1 gram protein
- The Kentucky grilled chicken breast allows more protein and less fat than any other pieces of grilled chicken from KFC. Pair your chicken with a serving of green beans, and your entire meal is still less than 250 calories.
Some of these restaurants are 1/2 A&W and 1/2 KFC so that gives you a little more variety.
- A Three-piece hand-breaded chicken tenders is 260 calories, 9 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated, 1 gram fiber, 40 grams protein
- A Small order of fries is 201 calories, 8 grams fat, 2 grams saturated, 3 grams fiber, 2 grams protein.
- Not a lot of choices on A&W’s menu, but at least the hand-breaded chicken tenders come in at less than 300 calories and 10 grams of fat. Make sure you keep from confusing them with the three-piece chicken strips, which feature almost double the calories.
I’ve eaten here about ten times, and the only complaint I have is they are closed on Sundays.
- Try the Eight-count grilled chicken nuggets with barbecue dipping sauce: 185 calories, 3.5 grams fat, 1 gram saturated, 25 grams protein.
- They also have a Superfood side salad: 140 calories, 7 grams fat, 1 gram saturated, 2 grams fiber, 3 grams protein.
This place is by far one of the best fast-food joints to eat at if you’re looking for reasonably healthy meals. The eight-count grilled chicken nuggets are big enough serving (with ample protein) to help keep you satisfied, and the superfood side salad featuring kale, broccolini, dried cherries, and nuts, is filled with vitamins and minerals. According to Fast Food Nutrition, a single serving offers 45% and 80% of your daily vitamin A and vitamin C needs, respectively.
I love a hearty meal, and I’ve noticed that their motto on their commercials is all about making huge sandwiches!
- Instead of their sandwiches, shoot for a Chopped Farmhouse salad with roast turkey and light Italian dressing: 250 calories, 14 grams fat, 7 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 22 grams protein.
- Also the Two potato cakes: 250 calories, 14 grams fat, 2 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 2 grams protein.
- Stay far far away from Arby’s go-to sandwiches and replace it for the chain’s Chopped Farmhouse Salad with roast turkey and light dressing. You’ll get a well-balanced meal with a lot of protein and some added fiber, all for about 250 calories.
This is by far one of your healthiest choices in the fast food world.
- Order a Three-piece blackened chicken tenders: 170 calories, 2 grams fat, 0 grams saturated, 0 grams fiber, 26 grams protein.
- Regular green beans: 55 calories, 2 grams fat, 0 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 3 grams protein.
If the doc asks you to stay clear of the saturated fat, this Popeyes combo of blackened (i.e., grilled) chicken tenders and green beans is free of the stuff. The entire calorie content is about 225 calories. That just isn’t enough to keep you full, so go ahead and order a five-piece blackened chicken tenders — the two extra pieces of chicken increases the total calorie content of your meal to just 333 calories.
We don’t have these in California but it is a popular chain in other states.
- The Garden Fresco with grilled chicken salad and raspberry vinaigrette dressing is a total of 405 calories, 14 grams fat, 5.5 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 44 grams protein
- Also, the Chicken noodle soup is only 110 calories, 2 grams fat, .5 grams saturated, 1 gram fiber, 7 grams protein
- The soup-and-salad combo is a great combo the next time you head to Culvers. Between the chicken salad and chicken noodle soup, you’ll total out at a mountainous 51 grams of protein but only intake about 515 total calories. Not too bad!
Steak ‘n Shake
This must be an east coast company because I’ve never eaten here before or have seen this restaurant anywhere in California.
- Pick up the Two BBQ Steakburger shooters wich is 280 calories, 14 grams fat, 5 grams saturated, 0 grams fiber, 12 grams protein.
- Cup of their vegetable soup is only 70 calories, 1.5 grams fat, 0 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 2 grams protein.
- Healthy options at Steak ‘n Shake are not very abundant, but their cup of vegetable soup adds a reduced number of calories and grams of fat to your meal. Because the broth-based soups tend to help with satiation, it’ll aid in keep you full until it’s time to eat again.
My kids love their burgers but that isn’t the healthiest item on the menu.
- Their Veggie sandwich is 440 calories, 15 grams fat, 3.5 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 7 grams protein.
- If you get their little fries it is 528 calories, 23 grams fat, 4 grams saturated, 8 grams fiber, 8 grams protein.
Five Guys makes extremely hard to track detailed information about their nutritional content. It’s tough to find anything reasonably healthy on their menu. Even a veggie sandwich, without cheese or mayo, is 440 calories, thanks to the whopping 280 calories and 9 grams of fat in the bun alone. Then you add the “little” fry. Together, you’re up to almost 1,000 calories and 38 grams of fat.
Dairy Queen is where I would always get ice cream as a kid but times have changed!
- If you’re aiming for healthy than getting the Grilled chicken BLT salad is the way to go! It comes in at 270 calories, 11 grams fat, 5 grams saturated, 3 grams fiber, 35 grams protein.
- The Oven-Baked Lay’s Original Potato Crisps: 130 calories, 2 grams fat, 0 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 2 grams protein.
The Grilled Chicken BLT Salad is by far your best bet, especially when you combine it with a pre-packaged bag of baked potato chips. Together, the two items add up to only 400 calories; This does not include the salad dressing. Unfortunately, Dairy Queen doesn’t provide that information online, so plan on choosing one of their “light” dressings to keep any additional damage in check.
They are known for their small style hamburgers
- Order the Two Original Sliders which is 280 calories, 12 grams fat, 5 grams saturated, 2 grams fiber, 14 grams protein.
- The Small Clam Strips: 210 calories, 17 grams fat, 2.5 grams saturated, 0 grams fiber, 8 grams protein.
White Castle doesn’t concern itself with catering to the healthy people. Focus on the two original sliders and a little order of clam strips. At least you’ll keep the calories under 500 calories.
Here is a restaurant where you could quickly go hog wild because when you’re in line in front of the counter, your building your burrito or bowl with all sorts of food.
- I would recommend the Chicken salad with black beans, fajita vegetables, and extra salsa which ends up being 410 calories, 8.5 grams fat, 3 grams saturated, 11 grams fiber, 42 grams protein.
- The Guacamole is 230 calories, 22 grams fat, 3.5 grams saturated, 6 grams fiber, 2 grams protein.
Chipotle has quite a few tasty options; it’s easy for a “healthy” meal to get entirely out of hand. Your best bet is to have a chicken salad featuring black beans, fajita vegetables, and extra salsa (try their different varieties). Then, go ahead and celebrate with a side of guacamole. Yes, it has 22 grams of fat, but they’re all the healthy kind, and if you combine the guac with the salsa on top of your salad, you won’t need to add a dressing of any kind. All-in-all, you’re looking at 640 calories, 17 grams fiber (more than half your daily recommended value), and 44 grams protein. It’s a meal that’s practically guaranteed to keep you satisfied.
Let us know if we are missing any fast food chain you are interested in and we will try to find the information and post it.