Just a few random frugal ideas or tips.
- When you are going to buy something ask yourself if you NEED it or WANT it!!! I really did a doozie and spent $40 on Girl Scout Cookies!! What the heck? Do I NEED $40 in cookies? NO! Does my body or hips need it? NO! Do you children need it? NO! So, this was an opps for me! What have you bought and regretted?
- If it is cold put on a sweater. There is no reason the heat needs to be blasting in the house. I keep our thermostat at 60 degrees, F. At night only.
- Shop with coupons. www.thegrocerygame.com is a GREAT website. For only $1 a week or a little bit more for more then one store you can get a list of all the sale items that match coupons for the lowest price of them.
- I do not pay over $1.50 for a box of NAME BRAND cereal! But usually spend only $1.00. If there isn’t any on sale, I won’t buy it. There are other, cheaper, ways to feed the family breakfast. Waffles and pancakes are cheap and most of the ingredients are ones that are common baking items. I’ll post my favorite waffle one later.
- Recycle! I don’t know why I never did it before but I just started taking the kids and recycling cans and bottles. They only take ones that have a CRV (California Redemption Value) on them. I rarely drink soda but water bottles are used here and we even can take the cans from the weekly Sunday-night-dinner at my dad’s house. The last two times we have gone we got about $4-5.00. This is not much but it makes it where we can get a 1/2 gallon of milk and some other small item. It all adds up!!!
- If you can, try to find it free or cheaper. This applies to everything you buy!!!
- Return things! I recently took a red eared slider to the pet store. We receieved the turtle for free but after having it for two weeks I decided it was too much. The tank got dirty too easy. Baby K and Little D were not only over feeding it but touching it all the time. Turtles can carry salmonella so this then meant me being on top of them washing their hands every time they touched the turtle. Anyways.. I took it to the pet store. We did not buy it here but they do have turtles that they sell. So, they gave me 1/2 the price they’d sell it for for store credit. I spent the $7.50 and got a few guppies for our fish tank. A week later I realized I still had all of our turtle food (all opened containers) and the water treatment stuff. They took this back too. Gave me a $7.99 (plus tax) container of fish flakes!
- Do you where I am going with this? I got 4 fish and some fish food all by ‘selling back’ stuff that they will use but I didn’t even buy there. Ask around!
- If you are out of hand soap use a liquid body wash! Just fill up the soap dispenser and no one will ever know!
Anyways, these are all just random! I’m sure there are lots more to come!
I have one very important word if you are listing on eBay.
AUCTIVA A-U-C-T-I-V-A www.auctiva.com
Okay, so I said the same word three times. Anyways, Auctiva is free. You can post up to 24 photos. All free. With eBay the first is free and each after that is 15 cents. With Auctiva you can schedule things in the future for free (changing the day or time to what you want). With eBay, there is a charge (I think 10 cents). Auctiva also has hundreds of templates. All are free. eBay, again, charges for them.
There are other outside listing companies to choose from. Some charge. Some are free. So far, I like Auctiva the best. Only downside is that on Thursday nights they do their weekly website updates and the whole site is down almost the whole night.
Sign up with Auctiva. Check it out. Post it if you have questions.
We did not do much, again, today. Went to too many garage sales today and found nothing good. A few I could not even find. The kids were with their dad for a few hours then we went to ‘Sunday School’ at church. Our church, The Church of Rocky Peak, has two Sunday services and both have a kiash that offers donuts, muffins, smoothies and other drinks. At the Saturday night service this is not available but the children get to have pizza during snack time! A great way for me to not made dinner! LOL! Daeton still has his cough but it WAS almost gone. I think the cold air tickled it and he was coughing most of the drive home after church. Probably didn’t help that he is overtired and that the three of us raced to the car, running in the cold air.
Tomorrow we have a field trip/tour of the Simi Waste Treatment Plant. Someone I know from college works there and is going to give us a private tour. Should be weird, gross, smelly and interesting. Not sure what the kids will think. My mom said she went there with an environmental class in college and she really enjoyed it. I’ll post how it went. If it seems interesting enough I can organize a field trip that is open to the homeschool community.
Never miss the opportunity to fun things with your children and family that are fun AND free.
This weekend the Reagan Library in Simi Valley hosts something called Presidents’ Day. Look-alikes walk around. There are arts and crafts. Speakers. Shows. Fly-bys. Lots of fun for the kids. This does not include normal admission to the Reagan Library but you do not have to go in. Most events are outside in the courtyards.
In Los Angeles there is a Chinese Lantern Ceremony as part of Chinese New Year. Research China or Chinese New Year a head of time to give you things to point out or discuss with your family.