Chalkboard Rice Krispies
Chalkboard Rice Krispies
These chalkboard rice krispie treats are great for the first day of school or to celebrate the 100th day of school. Make for the kids when they get home. Make with the kids if you homeschool. You can even send with them to classes. They are easy to make, adorable and delicious. You can even take this idea and make Rice Krispie treats that say something else, like make them for Christmas or Valentine’s Day. The recipe is below for you to print.
The ingredients are simple and cheap. This is a project you can have little ones help with too.
First make rice krispie treats like you normally would (recipe below). After they are cut you can coat the top of them with chocolate. Next cut some Air Heads into long strips. Kitchen scissors will work fine. You can do these in red, blue, green or all three colors.
Once the black chocolate is dry add the strips to the top of the rice krispie treat, overlapping on the corners.
Use white tube icing to decorate.
This recipe will yield 6 Chalkboard Rice Krispies:
9×9 pan Rice Krispies (recipe below)
1 Tablespoon solid shortening
1 cup Wilton black candy melts
2 large red Airhead candies
2 large blue Airhead candies
2 large green Airhead candies
White icing tube
RECIPE FOR RICE KRISPIES
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
Two 10 oz. bags of marshmallows
10 cups Rice Krispies cereal
DIRECTIONS FOR RICE KRISPIES
1. Spray a 9×9 pan with a non-stick coating spray and set aside.
2. In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat.
3. Add the marshmallows to the butter, stirring constantly until melted.
4. Remove from heat and stir in the cereal until well-coated.
5. Transfer the cereal mixture to prepared pan and press down firmly.
6. Cool for 30 minutes and cut into 6 large bars.
HOW TO DECORATE
1. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and place the 6 Rice Krispies bars on the sheet. Set aside for later.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave 1 tablespoon solid shortening for 45 seconds or until melted. Add the black candy melts and stir until melted. (You may have to microwave in additional 10 second increments until the candy is smooth and melted).
3. Dip the tops of the Rice Krispies bars into the melted black chocolate and place back on the cookie sheet for 30 minutes to harden. Or, if you find it easier, you can just use a spatula to spread the melted chocolate on top of each bar.
4. To make the border around each chalkboard, cut each candy Airhead into 4 strips.
5. Lay the strips along the outer edge of each Rice Krispies bar and gently press down. (You may have to trim the pieces depending on the size of your bars). They will easily stick to the Rice Krispies treats thanks to the gooey marshmallows.
6. With the white tube of icing, pipe your favorite back to school phrases on the chalkboards.