15 Indoor Exercises You Can Do During The Winter
Indoor exercise ideas might be just the thing you’ll been looking for. Winter is upon us and while we are in California (and it is freezing cold- to us) in other places in the US and around the world it might literally be 80-100 degrees colder right now, or more. I prefer exercising outdoors. Walking, bike riding, hiking, etc. But going in the rain and getting soaking wet isn’t fun. So I decided to research some things to be done indoors. At home or in public. There is always a million excuses to avoid exercise but if you want to start of 2017 with healthier changes you have to break some habits and create new ones. Find the way to exercise indoors. Even if it is 15-20 minutes a day. You’ll thank yourself for it later.
Indoor Exercises To Do At Home
- Get a hula hoop and start dancing. The Cardio Dance Hoop is something all ages can do and there is different levels of difficulty depending on how many links are in the hula hoop. It even comes with an exercise dvd It is also available in-stores at Target.
- If you have a two-story house so a few laps on the stairs. Run if you can. If not walk. You can even try walking up them backwards to stretch your calves.
- Get a stationary bike. Brand new these are expensive but you can search in local online selling groups, in used sporting good stores or garage sales. I just got one for $100 that is like-new.
- Dance! This can be break dancing, Zumba, ballet, salsa, belly dancing, etc. You can get videos online to teach you how or just blast some music and burn some carbs.
- Try Pilates andor Yoga. These are slower exercise and people of all fitness levels can do them.
- Make your own routine of things like push-ups, planks and squats with maybe jumping jacks in between. Burpees are good too. I have a sore knee and can’t do them but have seen the kids do them often in sports.
- Get a mini-trampoline and do some cardio exercises on it. Find free workouts on YouTube.
- If you have already been exercising and want to take to it a harder level try P90X. FYI- I tried this and wasn’t able to complete it. It is not for low-level fitness.
- Get a jump rope. Seriously. This is one small thing that can really get you in shape. You’d think it was a childhood toy but try to do a few minutes and see how quickly you get tired.
- Get a Wii Fit or Kinect. There are all sorts of exercise games you can download or buy at a gaming store. It comes with a few free ones too.
- Lift free weights. Get a few dumbbells and do arm curls, squats and more.
Indoor Exercises To Do In Public
- Mall Walking. This has been around for ages but it is still fun. Some people meet up and do it with a friend or in a group. It is indoors from the elements and safer than a part when it is dark outside.
- Go bowling. Join a league or just grab a friend. This is a great way to get some exercise in while not doing anything too strenuous.
- Join a Team!
Join an adult basketball team. You can practice a few times a week and play against other teams. A lot of park and rec gyms have indoor courts available for free or low cost.
Practice martial arts. Find a local place offering Jiu-Jitsu or Muay Thai kickboxing.
Find a gym with an indoor pool!
- Go to an indoor trampoline park. Most have open jump and also at certain times of the day you can join teams and play dodgeball.
3 Cats In One House Needs Odor Control Cat Litter
Sometimes I joke around that I’m one cat shy of being a crazy-cat lady. We have three cats that we love and adore. They are all a big part of our household and loved very much. All three were rescued and adopted. I love giving them the latest in cat toys and healthy food plus occasional treats. They each have their own Christmas stocking too. When we are out of town I have a friend that comes over twice a day to check on them. We are fortunate to have such cool cats that love to cuddle and play and all three like to sleep at the feet of each of our beds.
One thing about having three cats is to make sure the litter box situation is under control. It might not be something cat owners always think about but invite a friend over that doesn’t have cats and they’ll know if they litter box is overdue for a cleaning.
Ways I try to keep keep our house smelling pet-free, even with three cats.
- I make sure I buy the best cat litter boxes for odor control.
- Since we have three cats we have two litter boxes. This keeps them from fighting too.
- Clean the litter box daily and empty it about once a week and replace it with clean litter.
- Keep the litter box in a central location where the cats can reach it at all times.
- Make sure you get a litter box with a lid. A mat on the outside of it helps control litter being trailed by cat’s feet too.
- Add baking soda to litter to help neutralize odor.
Share Pictures of Your Precious Cat!
We have had trials and tribulations having three cats. Check out my story about finding a rat in our house.
What Are Your Ideas For Odor Control With Multiple Cats In One Household?
Minecraft Available At Best Buy
My kids love Minecraft and have since it first came out, which was a while ago! Now there is more to choose from, including playing at on the XBOX One and Minecraft collectables. Perfect if you have some after-Christmas shopping to do with some gift cards or spending cash. You can find all sorts of Minecraft items at your local Best Buy store or online.
What is Minecraft?
If you don’t know just ask a kid! Minecraft is a game about placing blocks and going on adventures. Explore randomly generated worlds and build amazing things from the simplest of homes to the grandest of castles. You can play in Creative Mode with unlimited resources or mine deep in Survival Mode, crafting weapons and armor to fend off dangerous mobs. Do all this alone or with friends. I love that the games are very family-friendly and great for kids. The toys and collectibles make great gifts for anyone already into the game. build constructions out of textured cubes in a 3D procedurally generated world. It can be played on a console, like the XBOX One or on a PC.
December Book Releases
Not a lot but some pretty cool books that have come out for December you might want to check out. A nice mix for all ages.
The Star-Spangled State Book by Joel F. King.
Have fun learning about all 50 states. Even has quizzes and a student manual cd in the back.
Expedition Earth: My Passport to the World by Cindy Horton.
List of countries, separated by continent and listed alphabetically. Information like language, currency, interesting facts and more.
The Sprinkles Baking Book; 100 Secret Recipes from Candace’s Kitchen. By Candace Nelson.
Bread, pies, cookies, cupcakes and more. Full page color photos, instructions and recipes I’ve never tried.
Rose Cherami: Gathering Fallen Petals. By Dr. Michael Marcades.
This book is a little more serious, okay, well, really a lot more serious. It follows the life of a woman abused as a child, in prison and her death, all told by the author, her son.
You Got This! Unleash your awesomeness, find your path, and change your world. By Maya S. Penn. 16-year-old author, entrepreneur, animator, coder and more. Learn about her, what she does and how she does it.
New Year New You
New Year’s eve doesn’t have to be about resolutions of health, fitness and things you want to change. It can be a to-do list of things you want different in your life, in your house and in your yard. For me, I’ve been working on changes everywhere, including decluttering and minimizing what I have. I want to work on healthier items in my household and things that make me happy too.
1- Eating healthier. This means meals, snacks, skipping desserts. More greens, more salads. It is a lifestyle change, not a diet or fad. I love making homemade food and the T-Fal Chopper makes it where I can make salsa with the tomatoes and cilantro from my garden, pesto sauce and even guacamole (great to use guacamole or avocado instead of mayonnaise on sandwiches).
I also love trying to switch fried chips to healthier baked chips. I love Pasta Chips and so do the kids. They come in a variety of flavors, are GMO-Free and only 120 calories per serving. They also have Veggie Pasta Chips and Pasta Bow-Ties. My kids’ favorite is the Marinara flavor. I love the Smooth Cheddar.
2- Do something you love. For me, that is gardening. I want to make my yard more friendly, welcoming and have more edible plants. With winter here I will be planting lettuce soon but most of the plants I like are spring/summer plants. So I need to get the soil ready and wait. I can help take care of the local birds while it is winter, especially since there is less for them to eat. I love this clean window birdfeeder. The roof and side walls protect it from rain. It takes seconds to put up. I can see it from inside the house. Birds love it too.
3- Exercise. I like to walk outside and to go hiking too but being a busy mom that isn’t always possible. As an alternative, and so I have no excuses, I bought a exercise bike on Facebook Market Place for $100 that is in like-new condition. I can now workout in my room, while watching tv. If you have too many excuses on why you don’t have time to exercise you need to find answers for the solutions! There is always a way. If you do like to exercise, especially on a bike or mountain bike, check out these gloves by RunLites. I got them for my dad, since he goes mountain bike riding at night. Perfect to light up in front of you if you hands are on the handlebars. They last 6-12 hours and are rechargeable and fit nicely too. I got full-length black ones but they have ones without the fingers as well.
4- No matter what sport your kids are in- GO! See thier games. Pay attention to their practices. Cheer them on, even if it embarasses them. They’ll remember this more than gifts or what you ate for dinner. Create memories! For me, watching my daughter at track meets is hard. They days are long and we are outdoors in sometimes very cold or very hot weather. The concrete and metal stadium seats hurt when I’ve been sitting on them for hours too. I now bring a seat with me to make it more bearable. I love my seat by Sportneer. It collapses and fits on my back and is nicely padded for hours of sitting.
5- If you don’t have time to cook or bake- do 1/2 way recipes. That is what I call them. Where you might have bought it from a box or somewhat made but you added to it or still cooked it at home. Sugar Bowl Bakery has a really cute idea for New Year’s Eve party with their Brownie Bites. The are delicious and this party idea is super easy! Their brownie bites are pre-made and you can decorate them saying Happy New Years or 2017 with a frosting tip. Having your kids help in the kitchen is a way to encourage them to try new foods too. Crockpot recipes are a great way to have healthy meals for busy parents too.
6- Quit drinking soda! Doesn’t matter if it is regular or diet. It is bad for you. I get, 100% wanting the energy burst from the caffeine. I get tired by the end of the day. I went from having 10-15 cans of soda a day to less than one a day. I still want to totally quit but at least I’m closer. My new go-to… Energy Bombs. Since I hate the taste of coffee this is a great alternative. It is gum that has vitamins, taurine and caffeine in it and comes in spearmint, cinnamon and peppermint flavors. The gum is made for adults, not children, and two pieces are about the same as one energy drink.
7- Treat your skin better. In this cold winter weather skin is taking a beating. It is cold, indoors the heaters dry out skin. Outdoors the wind does. I love hair and body products by Victoria Beauty. They have lotions, masks and hair care products for all ages. I like the Keratin Therapy products for my daughter’s hair since her hair has a Brazillian blowout on it. They have shampoo, conditioner and and straightening fluid. On top of that they have lotions, I picked the Body Lotion with Mango, Papaya and Milk and the Magic Mint Foot Lotion, Roses of Bulgaria and Hyaluron and and nail cream plus something I’ve heard of and have wanted to try for a while, Foot Detoxifying Patches.